Friday, September 22, 2006

Laundry Services in Manhattan

Earlier this week, I did my laundry for the first time since moving to New York. Which, honestly, for me, is impressive. I hate doing laundry, it's one of the worst cleaning tasks in the world, but I'm not a big fan of the other ones either. As I've been told, I'm very lucky to have laundry services in my building. Our landlord owns the next building over and they have the laundry room in their basement. Which, I guess, is pretty convenient.

I was very surprised by the size of the washing machines/dryers! I think you could fit an entire person in there. It's the never ending pit of dirty laundry. I'm going to have to reevaluate my sorting methods (sorry Grandma Anne) because I will never have enough of one color to do a load with only that. My reds are still sitting in the basket, sad because I wouldn't wash them with the other loads. For $3.50 to do a load of laundry, I'm certainly not going to be doing any partial loads.

If I wasn't in the mood to do my laundry there is a lovely "Fluff and Fold" service in this town where you just take you laundry to the cleaners and they do your laundry for you $.70 a pound. At some point when I'm feeling a little more lazy and have a little more disposable income I just may have to take advantage of that. Until then, every three weeks, you can find me schlepping my laundry up and down 4 flights of stairs.

No comments: