Sunday, September 24, 2006

I Thought I Left that Behind in Elementary School

Apparently I'm being punished by the bakery gods. Through some bizarre zoning mixup, a cookie factory was allowed to operate next door to my elementary school. It was cruel to send children out to play when we could smell freshly baked cookies and not have any. All day long, from when the bus dropped us off, to when it picked us up again...cookies.

Now it's happening again! Every day around 6:30 or 7:00 it smells like freshly baked bread in my neighborhood. At first I thought it was just an overzealous neighbor with too much time on their hands. Then on a neighborhood excursion I walked by the culprit: Eli's Bread is just two blocks away.

This is no normal bakery, according to their website, it produces over 40,000 lbs of dough DAILY and they are "baking around the clock". Luckily, Eli's Vinegar Factory is next door to Eli's Bread so if I ever want to sample the tasty deliciousness I smell every day, I just have to go down the street.

A word of caution to anyone who lives in NYC and thinks about going to Eli's Vinegar Factory. While it is a very cute gourmet grocery store, half of the items have no price posted. If my parents taught anything, if there's no price, you probably can't afford it.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Good old McCook Elementary - I can still smell it to this day.

Deb said...

I can still smell it, too! But they have spared the children. The school has been bulldozed and replaced by guess what - an expanded cookie factory building and parking lot.