Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Adultery Prereq for NY Governorship?

Come on!

ONE DAY after Governor David Paterson is sworn into office in a very entertaining swearing in, this breaks. Ok, yada yada yada, full disclosure, but couldn't he have given us a little more time to enjoy the honeymoon period? After angry, arrogant Spitzer this guy was a breath of fresh air: making self-deprecating comments, telling jokes, entertaining stories about his kids, etc. I didn't even have time to blog about how much I liked him before this came out.

I'm curious to see what the New York Post will have on their cover tomorrow. For those of you who didn't see their cover last week, for your viewing pleasure:






A friend asked me the other day if I viewed the Spitzer situation any differently than I viewed the Clinton scandal in the late 90s. Now I'm asking myself that again but can look at it with the same perspective, that of a 26 year old, not from the differing viewpoints of a 17 year old and a 26 year old.

Both Spitzer and Paterson cheated on their wives, one was asked to resign, the other we have yet to see the fallout. I'm assuming he will be in office for awhile.

I just feel like what Spitzer did was so awful that I debated all the different ways I could call out "so awful" to fully stress how awful I thought it was: underline, bold, CAPS, all three?

Paterson didn't break the law but that's really not what bothered me about the Spitzer scandal. Spitzer endangered the health of his wife, has three teenage daughters (not that much younger than Kristen), and it was so planned and pre-meditated there is no way that it was not intentional and that he didn't acknowledge the potential consequences. Oh and $80k?!?! Don't get me started.

Does anyone else have these somewhat conflicting opinions?



No comments: