Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Vomit Tree

There is a large tree about one block from my office that I never noticed before late this past summer. It was on this occasion that I noticed that there was a certain stench coming from the area that I realized that something was not right. Living in New York, I am not immune to noticing certain unpleasant odors from time to time but my first thought was, "Someone had a wild night last night." Assuming that someone had thrown up in a nearby garbage can.

The stench continued day after day until I eliminated the possibility of someone throwing up in the same garbage can every day for a week.

Then I noticed that the tree had been dropping some seed-like balls and the more that were squashed on the ground, the more it smelled. The tree was the culprit.

So yeah, this was a long time ago that I realized that the tree should hence be called the Vomit Tree, but now that it's fall in New York, the leaves are turning a lovely golden (non-vomitlike) color, I have a new appreciation for it.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I wonder if this is a female gingko biloba tree. I got one of these for Dad last year for Father's Day and looked specifically for a male tree. According to Ohio State University's Department of Horticulture, "on female trees, the tan-orange oval fruits are pendulous from the spur shoots, often produced in great abundance and becoming an abscising mushy mess in September and October, covering the ground with fleshy, strongly malodorous fruits." Does this sound like the Vomit Tree?