Thursday, February 22, 2007

Rollerama!!

I went rollerskating for a friend's birthday party last night for the first time in forever. Well, I think I took Miss Sarah to a rollerskating birthday party when I was in college but let's just say its been some time since I wore skates. Spending 3 1/2 hours on skates led me to draw some observations on skating,

1) Any woman who has the skill to squat in a tiled bathroom while wearing rollerskates has my respect.
2) The movie "Roll Bounce" had a huge impact on a small segment of the population in New York City. There were people there last night that were full on disco dancing in roller skates. I found this to be absolutely terrifying and was really proud of myself when I could skate to the beat.
3) Rollerskating is for everyone! Black, white, straight, gay, young, old, bikers, non-bikers, men dressed like Russell Simmons, it seemed like everyone was represented last night.
4) Rollerskating did not have a significant presence in the lives of several of my friends last night. Some of them said that it was the first time they had gone rollerskating. Now to my estimation, I have probably been rollerskating 20 times. Midwestern thing?
5) I must have had amazing leg muscles when I was little or I'm just getting old. The combination of rollerskating and lots of squats the night before has made it very challenging for me to sit, walk down steps, walk in general. I'm looking forward to vegging on the couch tonight and watching Grey's.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

I feel sorry for people who didn't go to the roller rink as a kid. My friend Julie's dad owned a roller rink when she was little....too bad I didn't meet her until college.

Abby said...

What was the name of the dumpy roller rink in South Sioux City? I don't think I ever went to Rollerama. I think the other place was cheaper and less crowded...much better for clumsy skaters like myself.

Anonymous said...

Roller skating is for everyone! And, you're right, I do believe copious experience roller skating is strictly a midwest thing. East Coast Shmeast Coast.

Anonymous said...

sorry, that anonymous post was me. I suck at technology!

Anonymous said...

I hate to burst the "strictly Midwest" thing... My brothers, cousins, and I went roller skating EVERY Friday night for years in Baltimore (that's on the East Coast).