Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Random rant

Everyone has a special skill. My mother's is that she can spot an expired SD license plate from 2 car lengths away. In SD you are assigned a month to renew your license plates based on the first letter of your last name and it is represented by a sticker in the upper left hand corner, 01 - January, 02 - February, etc. I want to say ours were sometime in the summer, July maybe? They are also color coded by year so if in June she sees a red 05 and the sticker for 2007 is blue then, yep, they have expired license plates.

Anyway, I think my skill is spotting, then telling people, when the string that holds together the slit at the back of their coat hasn't been cut. I know, it's weird, but it drives me crazy when the slit is still sewn together. When they're walking it tends to gape open and look like you have an opening for a tail or something. With all the new coats out there after the holidays I feel like maybe I should walk around with a pair of scissors. Sadly, I have stopped telling most people because they look at me like I'm crazy. Hopefully, the string has not been cut because they don't look at the back of their coat and they don't see it and not that they think it's meant to be that way.

4 comments:

Deb said...

etellThanks for the shout out! On occasion when I tell people their license plates have expired, they become very defensive -- I think it is because they do not intend to renew them on time. So they respond like I caught them in some big lie.

I can't imagine that people would purposefully leave the string in their slits uncut - so you should not risk this treatment. Whatever the case, my advice to any New Yorker would be to never pull a pair of scissors on a stranger.

Deb said...

For the South Dakotans who read this blog. http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/DisplayStatute.aspx?Type=Statute&Statute=32-5-2.2

Anonymous said...

sound advice from your mother... i would carry finger nail clippers-- much less frightening! :-)

Abby said...

Okay...minor confession here. I know that you're supposed to cut the "X" out of the back of your coat, but is it bad that I had a pair of pants for a year before I realized that they did indeed have pockets but they were sewn shut? I cursed those pants everytime I wore them because they didn't have pockets...or so I thought.