Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Port Authority's Midnight Surprises

I got to New York from DC at 12:15 a.m. Monday morning and was somewhat concerned about what undesirables would be waiting for a bus there at midnight on a Sunday night. I was so pleasantly surprised by the people that were giving me directions.

I stepped off the escalator and began looking for a sign to get to the street and a man with a disheveled appearance said, "What are you looking for honey?" when I said, the street, he said, "Right up the escalator". Then, while riding up the escalator, another man missing half his teeth asked me, "Looking for a cab?" I said yes and he said, "Take a U-turn off the escalator onto 8th Ave and those gentleman will help you." I'm kind of sad that I still look like a tourist, looking for signs everywhere, but was so impressed by all the nice people! Even in the middle of the night. Sigh.

Today is rather gushy so I might have to wait to talk about DC until tomorrow. Geez.

BTW - if my writing sounds weird it's because I'm reading Jane Eyre for book club and I've found that I'm inverting my sentences and using weird phrasing. For that, I apologize. :)

No comments: