Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Big Beautiful Brooklyn Bridge


I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge for the first time on Saturday. My friend Marc and I ventured out from his apartment in Park Slope (in Brooklyn) and headed toward Manhattan. I've been meaning to go for some time and couldn't have picked a more beautiful day.

We didn't get there until after the sun had set and walking toward Manhattan was breathtaking. (Yes, I'm being dramatic, but it still was). You can see most of the East Manhattan and it's getting easier to pick out the buildings I know. The lights were lit up against the black sky and if you look West you can see the Statue of Liberty in the distance. For anyone coming to New York or if you've never walked across the bridge I strongly encourage you to do this.

Part of what spurred me to action on this was my NYC Documentary series. The last disc I watched (#3 for those who choose to Netflix it) they dedicated about 30-40 mins talking about the building of the Brooklyn bridge. Trivia fact: Did you know that architect of the BB died of gangrene after a runaway ferry boat crushed his foot? This all happened before they had made any headway on the bridge. His son had to take over.

Next NY adventure I have planned...ferry boat to Staten Island. It's free and I hear it's got a beeeee-u-tiful view of the city!

No comments: