Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Nerd Alert

I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday but yesterday I got to meet my nerd research idol. We had a mandatory seminar at work on accurate online research methods. A group of new hires sat around with this guy discussing nerd-research-methodology topics for 2 hours. Which of course were supported with Research on Research which he conducted. I could not be happier at my new job.

He mentioned something interesting that I'm going to look into further but I'll touch on briefly. Apparently a clinical psychologist conducted a study on reasoning and successful excuses for cutting in line or other similar behavior. She found that you only have to say "because" and people will let you do most things. "Because" is your reasoning for everything. I have to cut in front of you because my friend is waiting. Even though that isn't really sufficient reasoning why you need to get somewhere first, it's sufficient that you have a reason. Weird.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Have you read the Wisdom of Crowds? There's a chapter about this - and the rest of the book is v. fun, too.