Thursday, September 28, 2006

Drego, My Shoe Guy

The idea of having a cobbler or shoe guy was completely foreign to me until I moved to the East Coast. In KC I certainly never did enough walking to warrant re-heeling of shoes and if a heel broke off, it was "Adios".

I never really found a good shoe guy in DC, althought I'm sure there are plenty. The only one I ever went to tried to get me to pay for my shoes when I picked them up even though I'd already paid for the repairs. I'd give him a break if I thought it was an accident but the man had a sign posted that read, "Payment required when dropping off shoes". Now I know I'm blonde, but I'm not stupid.

ANYWAY, I have a new shoe guy in NYC approx 1 block from my office. He took my black, Nine West pumps and made them brand new again. He put on a new heel end (for those of you who don't need a shoe guy, high heels have a metal post in them that once you wear the end off your heel, you walk on that, bizarre) and put new leather putty stuff on the heel. These shoes have never looked so good because the first day I had them I got caught in a metal grate and ripped off an inch long leather strip. I LOVE THIS MAN. I took off the boots I was wearing and exchanged them for the shoes I was picking up. AND this is done in approx 24 hours but can do a rush job if you need them sooner. Love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With a name like Drego, he might actually fight crime at night... something to check into.

My favorite is when I wear through the heel caps on my high heels and then the post has the tap shoe effect. For some reason this just makes me want to do a time step, but then I realize that isn't exactly "office appropriate". So many rules in the real world.

Alicia said...

A shoe guy can be a girl's best friend - the best here in Mpls is Fast Eddie.