Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Happiest Day of my Life.


Alright...I gotta clarify this post. Some people have been skeptical that last Monday was the "Happiest Day of my Life". Well...TOUGH! Ok, admittedly, I posted that after I got home from the bar somewhere in the 3's on a school night, but it was without a doubt, one of the top 5 days of my life, and had I been in Lawrence, would have gotten the number 1 spot.

As someone who is not married, and does not have any children, there have been few days that had a singular moment that made it memorable. Graduations? Meh. But beating Marquette in the Final Four semi-finals in 2003 then storming Mass St? Yeah, that's on the list. Besides the birth of my niece and nephew I have a tough time listing any other days that were in the top 5.

For those of you that don't understand, as I told my dad, my relationship with the University of Kansas Jayhawks has been the longest relationship of my life (with the exception of my family and a few friends), so my committment is pretty strong. The Jayhawks loss to Syracuse in the 2003 national championship, made me so depressed that I didn't watch TV, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper for 4 days. No one talked on campus. And it was a MONDAY. Talk about a long week ahead. THEN our coach decided to leave us to go to his alma mater. I admit, I, like most Kansas fans were very angry at Roy for not showing more loyalty to the place he spent the last 15 years of his life. However, after last Saturday's defeat of UNC, followed by Roy wearing a Jayhawk sticker at the national championship, I think the anger is gone. It is for me.

And one of the best things about this past week, Bill Self said no thanks to Oklahoma State. Those outside the Big 12 don't have any idea why Kansas fans were worried that he would ever leave. Well, we know what it's like when a coach gets a call from his alma mater. While UNC and OSU are not anywhere close to the same level, T.Boone Picken's millions could have made the transition a little easier.

Anyway, congratulations to the Jayhawks! Congratulations to Coach Self, I look forward to years of watching your teams. Man I miss Lawrence. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!



No comments: