Thursday, March 20, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Weekend

So while I probably haven't said it before on the blog, I've said it many, many times in individual conversations: New York is a hedonistic city. We live in small apartments so the upkeep is minimal, we don't have yards to take care of, to-go food is available and affordable, as are places to do your laundry, get your nails done, and there is an insane number of bars and restaurants to keep us occupied. Having fun is our secondary job and I definitely managed it this past weekend.

I had great St. Patty's day celebrations with a lot of great friends in NYC. TECHNICALLY, the St. Patty's festivities were only Saturday-Monday I'm going to include my friend's party Friday night in the festivities, nothing like pre-party.

Friday #1: My friend Rommi had an amazing birthday party at a great Manhattan apartment. The likes of which I have NEVER seen nor probably will again. INSANE New York apt. I have never been in this big of an apartment ever, let alone in NYC. Anyway, this is me striking a pose with some guys I met. The one directly behind me was kinda tall.



Friday #2: This is me listening to said guy explain that, 1) women have no common sense, "well, except for you three" (indicating to me and my friends) and 2) that Title IX had ruined women's sports, and 3) "Not all apartments are 6 feet from another building" (Mine is, from two actually). Um, yeah, I kinda wandered off after that.



Saturday: My friend Katie's boyfriend, Reid, had a pre-St. Patty's day party at his apartment and it was a GREAT time. We had some beverages, watched the conference basketball tournaments and had a great time. Reid got some INSANE bonus points for turning the KU/Texas A&M game on in his room so I could watch the whole thing without having to share the TV with someone watching Clemson/Duke (I think). Mad props, Reid, mad props.


Sunday: I kind of threw a festivity the Sunday afternoon before St. Patty's day at a little bar called "Off the Wagon". This bar specializes in games like beer pong and flip cup which many of the attendees were proficient at, as can be seen in the pictures below. And, no, I'm not getting sick in the first one, just laughing hysterically. It must be said, we had the most fun group of people at the bar and our group continued to grow throughout the night because, as mentioned, we were fun.

Oh, and Kansas won the Big 12 Championship from co-regular series champion Texas. Rock Chalk baby!





Monday: Actual St. Patrick's day was a hit! Nicole and I started the day at our favorite bar "The Gaf", conveniently located 2 and 1/2 blocks from my apartment. Then we were later joined by friends, Pete and James McNamara. We received AWESOME St. Patty's day hats from the Gaf bartenders. Thanks John and Brian! Then Nicole and I went to Stout where our favorite Irish band Scythian was playing and were joined by Meredith and Rommi and the McNamara bros! All-in-all, great holiday weekend. Now if there were a similarly fun Danish holiday I could get friends to play along with, this could be a BLAST!





Shout out to Rommi, Michelle, Carrie and James for supplying pictures. Approximately 3 out of 4 days I was dumb and forgot my camera at home.

1 comment:

LooseMoose said...

As an Irish American (with some German and French thrown in), I have to say that it is St PaDDy, instead of St PaTTy... I love that you had a blast celebrating and can't wait to see you when you get back to SD!