Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tappy Tap Tap Tappy

So a couple of weeks ago I had one of the worst days I've had in a really long time, nothing seemed to go right.

Three separate people seemed to have issue with where I was standing, or how I was folding my newspaper on the subway and this all happened before work. Then the day pretty much went downhill from there. So I was telling my friend Marc "just watch, I'm going to get hit by a car on the way home." Well, I didn't get hit by a car on the way home that night, if that's what you think this post is about.

I got hit by a car the NEXT night. Ok, "hit" is my way of being dramatic. It was a little tap, tappy, tap tap. I was walking across Spring Street en route to the gym (AT the crosswalk, WITH the walk sign) and I feel something hit the back of my right leg. I turn around and lo and behold, it's a car.

Everyone within a block's distance just stopped moving to see how I'd take it. The man and woman at the crosswalk just asked if I was ok and because it felt like a large dog brushed against my leg said, yes, I was fine. The driver did pull over and the passenger asked if I was ok, and I could only muster "Yes, but watch where you're going!"

I didn't even get dirt on my pants they barely brushed me but I can now say I was hit by a car. And let me tell you, calling Marc to tell him I was hit by a car, just 24 hours later...priceless.

**This post was not as funny as I had intended. I'm really very ok, and the streets of New York are, in fact, very safe. Lighting never strikes the same place twice, right? I think this should go on my New Yorker bingo card. Tapped by car....check**

1 comment:

Deb said...

You can be sure that if you get mugged in NYC, even slightly and even if you don't get dirt on your pants, I'm renting a uHaul and coming after you.